Thursday, October 30, 2014

It takes a village

Last weekend was a busy weekend here at the Casa.  For the past month, we've had a friend staying with us in our spare bedroom.  She was one of D's previous teachers and it's been great.

This past weekend, said friend had a friend in town staying with us.
Then G had a friend staying with us also, in town to catch some Phish shows.

I, however, was not at the Casa. I was at the OC attending my Foundation Classes.

When I returned Saturday evening I learned the following - A, the friend and her friend, E watched D on Friday night (as was arranged).  G and friend got back very late.  In the morning, D went into her dad's room and played in the room while dad slept.  When A heard D stirring, she sent E down to play with D.  A works long days throughout the week so she tries to catch up on sleep on the weekends.  So, E bakes scones with D until A gets up and they all have breakfast together.  Then G and his friend get up and I guess they all hang out for a bit until G and friend take off.  Then I got home.  And then G and friend get home again very, very late into the wee morning.

Sunday morning rolls around and I get up early to play with D. I actually take her out of the house so that the whole household could sleep.  When we get home, A and E hang out with D for a bit and then dad wakes up and then friend.

This scenario just makes me think it really does take a village to raise a family. Back in the day when we had our extended family nearby, well, it sure made things a whole heck of a lot easier.  One could pretty much come and go as one pleased and it would not affect the child one bit because there was always a relative nearby.  Nowadays with everyone living apart from their parents or even grandparents leading their own busy lives and not necessarily available to even be nearby, it's a bit more challenging.  Although it may have seemed a bit busy at the Casa this weekend, I rather enjoyed the hustle and bustle.  I could use an extra hand...that doesn't have to be paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment