Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Paris...NOT!

Uggh, it pains me to hear the hubs gabbing away with an airline customer service rep asking about his flight to Paris.  Yeah, the hubs is going to Paris for work and (pre-baby), I'd totally buy my own ticket and join him!!  Alas, this is one of those times when I think "Man, if only..."


A friend of mine asked me the other day, "What are your thoughts on having a kid?"  And I responded, "First of all, I am not the person to ask that question to..."  I cannot sugar coat an answer to that question.  In fact, I often ponder over the phrase that most moms say, "I can't imagine life without my child."  I really don't get that.  What does that mean?  I absolutely can imagine life without the baby.  I totally remember those carefree days of yore when I could just fly by the seat of my pants and make whimsical decisions.  Fly off to Paris for a weekend?  Yes, sure!  Spain for a week?  Sign me up!

Now life is not like that. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change my current life, but I haven't lost my senses. Parenthood is hard and a lot goes into it. I would never to say to someone, "You have to do it.  You have to have a kid."  It really doesn't complete a person.  Sometimes, it tests a marriage, a relationship and it certainly tests your patience!  I would never say to someone, "You're missing out."  You aren't.  If you are feeling like you'd like to have a kid in your life, offer to babysit your sibling's kid or your friend's kid. That's a good experience and then when you're exhausted at the end of the weekend, you just give that kid back. Your friend appreciates the break for the weekend, you get to experience parenthood and then everyone goes back to their lives.  Done. So easy.

1 comment: