Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Who's Got the Time?

I'm old. I should be getting up every morning and starting my day with a series of stretches to get this old body moving, but I don't. Who's got the time?

If and when I wake up early, I really should be training for the Tinkerbell Half that's coming up in the next few weeks.  Eeks! And again, at my age or actually at any age we should be stretching before and after working out but again, who's got the time? I stretch just the bare minimum before starting out and usually completely forget about stretching after I get back since I have to jump in the shower and get ready for the day.


I am a believer that stories work. Storytelling to heal behaviors can work but for me, I just can't seem to find the time to tell a good story about a child that plays nicely with her friends and shares everything so that her friends are happy in the end. That would require some thinking and some time to keep telling this beautiful story. And I think I've already established here that time is short for me.

So, this morning on our way to school, I just said to the dear daughter, "Sweetie, we have a play date today and what is the number one rule?" She replies, "Not to play on the rope swing unless an adult is nearby."

Oh right, there's that.

Me: "Yes, that's the number one rule but number two is that we are kind to our friends when they are over. We let them play with whatever they want."

D: "Okay."

Me (to drive the point across): "I don't want your friend to come over to me saying, "Miss Belinda, D is not letting me play with X.." (This has happened every time we've had a play date)

I think she gets it. So far, so good.  Nobody is crying and nobody is whining that my girl is being too bossy and not letting her play with things.

No comments:

Post a Comment